Thursday, February 2, 2012

Many Layers of Sky and Sand

I have a really good habit of sending my children out to play on nice days. Limited school work (or none) on nice days. Just go and play...

Yesterday we played all day. Charlotte and I also worked on sanding an old neat desk we are going to paint this weekend and make new again.


Charlotte sanding
It was Ricky's desk and I've kept the beat up, scratched up ol' thing all these years waiting to make it new again. I started sanding it when Everett was about five months old. That didn't last long. I quickly gave up when the loud sander wasn't compatible with baby. I have lots of projects, like hundreds, I don't finish because a baby won't let me. I also get too tired of doing 10 minute jobs here, 20 minute jobs there during naps. It's tiring trying to sand a desk in 10 minute intervals every other day! But I always keep dreaming up projects and gardening and painting and doing...slowly. I love it. Every year I also daydream of times when I won't have interruptions from young children needing something -and pulling at me to nurse while I'm busy. But when I daydream I don't do so because that's what I really want. I don't really want it to happen at all. As much as I want the freedom to get done what I want to get done when I want to, it doesn't compare to  these moments right here ...


When I'm with my children I breath softer, enjoy more, laugh louder,
play harder, and live more fully through innocent eyes


The sky over my world




nursing in the sky

I enjoyed a day to do what I wanted outside; I enjoy watching the kids and working on a project for me. When Everett wanted me we just laid down right there on the blacktop for a nurse break. When I finish this desk I'll always remember it as one of the last things I did while he was a little baby. On beautiful days under beautiful skies slowly I sand, and nurse, and sand, and nurse... and I'm so content.



The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. -Audrey Hepburn
I promise there isn't a day that goes by that I don't appreciate this life.... these kids, my husband, the freedom I'm given, the family I am blessed with, the joy I feel, the magic and love *I* get to hold from my babies and children. I'm so thankful for the time I get to reflect on it now, to photograph it, to write about it...because time is whirling by, but not without me knowing it.

2 comments:

Molly said...

Love the clouds! Awesome! And, the nursing picture too. Sweetness. I think I also recognize Everett's dinosaur hoodie as one of Z's from a long time ago :-)

Your closing thoughts made me thought of my own feelings during the last year. I am SO conscious of the swirl of time. I keep looking, I keep watching, I keep paying attention and telling about it. The world keeps on turning and life keeps on moving and I notice every. single. day. It doesn't mean I always love every moment, but I do ALWAYS notice (and I do love many, many moments out of every day).

Mom of a bunch of great kids... said...

I try to fight time by being aware. Like I can some how beat it if I don't ever stop noticing that it is spinning by while and leaving me older and my kids closer to being grown. I have a love hate relationship with time and change.

Thanks :) I just love noticing hand-me-down clothes on each others kids!

Mother’s Day 2020

Ricky took the younger kids to pick out some Mother’s day presents for me on Saturday. I knew what they were up to but before leaving Madel...